This Lemon Blueberry Angel Food Cake Roll looks fancy but is so incredibly easy to make! It’s made with angel food cake mix, a lemon cream cheese filling, and topped off with homemade whip!
- 1 angel food cake mix plus ingredients to prepare
- ¼ cup + ¾ cup powdered icing sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese (250 grams) room temperature
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream (35%) cold
- ¼ cup lemon juice from one lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest from 1-2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 can blueberry pie filling
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (35%)
- 1-2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- fresh blueberries and lemon slices for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 10x15x1″ rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Grease lightly with non stick spray and press parchment paper to the pan.
- Prepare angel food cake mix according to package directions and spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until light golden brown. It will rise up and even above the edge of the pan but will not overflow.
- Lay a clean lint-free kitchen towel on the counter and dust with ¼ cup powdered sugar. Flip hot cake out onto the prepared towel and immediately roll up starting at the short end, with the towel inside.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature, placing in the fridge if you want to speed up the process.
- To make the filling, beat cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth. Add ¾ cup powdered sugar, cream, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla and beat until thick and combined. Add yellow food coloring if desired.
- Make sure that the cake is completely cool and then unroll the cake. Spread with ½ of the cream cheese filling, and then spread with the blueberry pie filling. You may not use all of the filling — you want some in every bite but you also do not want it to squish out.
- Carefully roll back up (no towel this time!), starting at the short end. Cover roll with remaining cream cheese filling.
- Combine cream and powdered sugar and whip until stiff peaks form. Pipe or dollop over the top of the cake roll and top with lemon wedges and fresh blueberries if desired.
- Use a baking sheet. A baking sheet (mine is 10″ by 15″ by 1″) creates the perfect thickness so the cake is easily rollable. I don’t recommend using any other pan.
- Line and grease the baking sheet. This makes it a whole lot easier to remove the cake from the pan in one piece.
- Work quickly. Once you turn the cake out onto the towel, roll it up right away. It’s more malleable when it’s hot. If it cools too much, it may crack when you roll it.
- Use a lint-free towel. Something thin and not fluffy means that we don’t have fuzzies on our cake.
- Sugar the towel. Adding a layer of powdered sugar to the towel helps prevent sticking.
- Cool the cake completely. If you add the filling while the cake is still hot, it will just melt and become runny. I also recommend chilling the cake again after you add the filling and before you slice it. This makes it easier to get nice clean cuts.
Once you add the topping, I recommend serving the cake right away or refrigerating until ready to serve. The cake will last a couple of days in the fridge, but any longer than that and the cake can dry out as it is difficult to cover completely once frosted.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 338cal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 384mg | Potassium: 94mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 765IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 1mg