What is Heaven on Earth Cake?
Have you tried my Angel Food Cake recipe, yet? After making that cake a couple of weeks ago, I couldn’t resist taking it a step further for this angel food cake dessert.
Once you taste it, you’ll understand why I call it “Heaven on Earth” cake! This cold heavenly dessert is part cherry pie, part cake, part pudding and completely irresistible.
Imagine a delicious trifle.
- angel food cake
- layered in a pan with a vanilla pudding cream
- cherry pie filling
- cool whip
Heaven on Earth cake resembles a bread pudding but no baking required!
The light sponge of the cake soaks up the vanilla and cherry flavors, along with the rich sweet cream. Served cold, this was absolute perfection on a hot summer night!
- Angel Food Cake- Use our homemade angel food cake, a boxed mix, or store bought. Pound cake is also delicious!
- Instant Vanilla pudding mix– the four serving box size, make sure it’s the INSTANT variety
- Milk- less milk is used than traditionally for pudding mix. This helps create a thick filling.
- Sour Cream- or Greek yogurt
- Almond extract – adds a little extra flavor I think you will LOVE
- Cherry pie filling
- Cool Whip– or our homemade stabilized whipped cream
- Almond slices– optional, but toast the nuts for even more flavor
How to make Heaven on Earth Cake
For the Cake Layer: You can make your angel food cake from scratch or pick up one from the bakery at your grocery store.
- Cut the cake into cubes then place a layer of the cake pieces into the bottom of a cake pan. A serrated knife will cut the cake best!
- Spoon some cherry pie filling on top, then repeat with the rest of the angel food cake cubes and pie filling.
Now make the pudding layer!
- For this step, I wanted something a little thicker than your standard vanilla pudding that wouldn’t take a lot of effort. So I used my trusty instant pudding mix, but added added sour cream along with the milk.
- The sour cream adds the perfect tang to go along with all the sweetness in the cake!
- Spoon the creamy pudding on top of the entire cake. Finally, I topped everything with cool whip and an extra dollop of cherry pie filling.
- Use all your self-control to resist diving into the cake right away and pop it in the fridge to chill for at least 4 hours.
- Oh, I can’t forget to mention the finishing touch: almonds!
- 1 Angel Food Cake prepared
- 1 package Instant Vanilla pudding mix 3.4 ounce
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup Sour Cream or plain greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can cherry pie filling 20 ounce
- 1 container Cool Whip 8 ounce
- 1 Tablespoon almond slices toasted (optional)
Cut angel food cake into cubes. Set aside.
In a bowl, whisk together pudding mix, milk, sour cream, and almond extract. Set aside.
In a 13×9 baking dish, lay half of the cake cubes in the bottom of the pan. Spoon 3/4 of the cherry pie filling over the cake.
Repeat cake layer. Pour pudding over the top of the cake, spreading it out evenly.
Spoon the Cool Whip over the pudding layer. Dollop the remaining pie filling on top.
Refrigerate cake for 4 hours, or overnight. Sprinkle almonds on top when ready to serve.