So simple, yet unbelievably tasty, these Classic Potato Pancakes are not to be missed! Follow my simple instructions and make this easy treat today!
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. sea salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp. pepper or to taste
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil for frying
How To Make Classic Potato Pancakes:
- If using food processor: peel and cube the potatoes and onion. Place the vegetables in food processor and process for about 2 minutes, until potatoes look “grated” and no lumps remain. If using grater: peel the potatoes and onion and grate.
- Place the potato mixture into a fine strainer or kitchen towel and try to squeeze almost all of the liquid into a mixing bowl.
- Discard the liquid. You’ll notice white powder on the bottom of the bowl after you pour the liquid out. It is potato starch and it gives texture to the pancakes, so you should keep it.
- Return the potato mixture into the bowl and add eggs, flour, with some salt and pepper, and mix everything well.
- Heat up some vegetable oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add a spoonful of potato mixture, spreading it slightly. Fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until the pancakes are crispy and brown.
- Place the pancakes on a paper towel, to absorb the excess oil and ENJOY!
What to Serve with Potato Pancakes
Traditionally, we (the Ukrainians) serve it with sour cream on the side. A lot of people love to serve applesauce or yogurt with these pancakes.
Can you make potato pancakes ahead of time?
Although the best way to enjoy these potato pancakes is right out of the frying pan, when they are fresh and oh-so-crispy, you may freeze these successfully. Just fully cook the potato pancakes and then let them cool down completely. Once cold, place them in a single layer onto a baking sheet and freeze for at least 2 hours or until they are hard. Transfer the frozen pancakes to freezer storage bags. When ready to serve, preheat the oven to 450 F. Arrange the frozen latkes on baking sheets, in a single layer and bake for about 15 minutes.