Grandma’s Lemon Meringue Pie is a delightful dessert that carries the sweet and tangy essence of a family tradition.Indulge in the irresistible delight of this lemon meringue pie, a delectable treat that is meant to be savored and shared! The luscious lemon filling strikes a harmonious balance between sweetness and tartness, enriched with the perfect combination of cornstarch, flour, and egg yolks to create a thick, creamy texture.
To create our highly acclaimed lemon meringue pie recipe, gather these essential ingredients:
- For the filling: White sugar, all-purpose flour, cornstarch, salt, water, fresh lemons, butter, and beaten egg yolks.
- For the meringue: Egg whites and white sugar.
With this remarkable combination of ingredients, you’ll be on your way to crafting a sensational lemon meringue pie that will leave everyone craving for more.
Here is a detailed breakdown of the steps involved in creating your own delectable old-fashioned lemon meringue pie:
- Prepare the filling:
- In a saucepan, combine the white sugar, all-purpose flour, cornstarch, and salt.
- Gradually add water, lemon juice, and lemon zest to the saucepan, stirring well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring continuously.
- Add butter to the saucepan, stirring until melted.
- In a separate bowl, place the beaten egg yolks. Take a small amount of the hot sugar mixture and whisk it into the egg yolks, then gradually whisk this mixture back into the saucepan.
- Continue cooking the filling, stirring constantly until it thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare the meringue:
- In a clean mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until they become foamy.
- Gradually add the white sugar while continuing to beat the egg whites.
- Beat the mixture until stiff peaks form, ensuring the sugar is fully incorporated.
- Assemble and bake the pie:
- Preheat your oven to a specified temperature according to your recipe.
- Pour the prepared lemon filling into a pre-baked pie shell.
- Spread the meringue over the filling, ensuring it touches the crust edges to seal in the filling completely.
- Use a spatula or the back of a spoon to create peaks and swirls on the meringue for an attractive appearance.
- Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake until the meringue turns golden brown.
These steps outline the basic process, but it’s important to consult a specific lemon meringue pie recipe for precise measurements and oven temperatures. Enjoy the delightful journey of making and savoring your homemade lemon meringue pie!
To make the filling: Whisk 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt together in a medium saucepan; stir in water, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter.
Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat; pour filling into baked pastry shell.
To make the meringue: Beat egg whites in a glass, metal, or ceramic bowl until foamy. Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie filling, sealing the edges at the crust.
Bake in preheated oven until meringue is golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups water
2 lemons, juiced and zested
2 tablespoons butter
4 egg yolks, beaten
1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
4 egg whites
1/2 cup white sugar