Of all the sweet flavor combination out there, chocolate and caramel might be one of our favorites. From Twix candy bars to ice cream to cakes and cookies, it’s hard to go wrong with this classic pairing. So when we first came across these Caramelitas we knew they were going to be a winner. It took a few tries to get the balance of cookie to chocolate and caramel filling just right, but I can assure you… we’ve found it. These bars are absolutely sinful and you’ll soon be wondering how you survived without them in your recipe collection.
At first glance the recipe may seem to a little more involved than your typical cookie recipe, but don’t worry, they still come together in less than an hour. First off, you’ll combine the dry ingredients and melted butter. Mix everything until it comes together into a crumble. You’ll then press the half of the crumble mixture into an 8×8 baking dish to form a crust and bake for about 10 minutes. As the crust bakes, heat the caramels and half a cup of heavy cream in a saucepan and stir until completely smooth.
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 11 oz bag baking caramels
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 8×8 baking dish or line with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, add the caramels and heavy cream. Cook over medium heat until smooth while constantly stirring, then set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the butter, brown sugar, flour, oasts, and baking soda until fully combined. Press half the mixture into the baking dish to form an even layer.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes and then remove from oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top, then pour the caramel mixture over the chocolate. Top the caramel with the remaining half of the oat mixture.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 18-20 minutes. Allow bars to fully cool before slicing.